Non-halogenated, high purity magnesium hydroxide powder for use as a flame retardant and smoke suppressant in plastic compounds for thermoplastic olefins, plastic building materials, select wire and cable applications, and plastic fillers and coatings.
Flame Retardant / Smoke Suppressant
Flame retardants are chemical additives used in plastics, coatings, and other products to inhibit flame sustenance. Magnesium hydroxide is used with a resin or similar base material as a flame retardant filler. This magnesia compound is physically mixed with the base material ( and “additive flame retardant”).
The basic mechanisms of retardancy can function in the gaseous and solid phase. When flame retardant chemicals act in the gaseous phase, they can also suppress smoke. Magnesium hydroxide is such a retardant.
Attributes and benefits:
- Excellent flame retardancy and smoke suppression properties
- Thermally stable
- Cost effective replacement for Alumina Trihydrate (ATH)
- Thermally stable to 340°C, suitable for engineering plastic
- Lower hardness than ATH resulting in longer equipment life
- Low toxicity [LD50 (oral/rat) > 5,000 Mg/Kg]
- Non-corrosive as compared to halogen or phosphorous-containing compounds